www.cornard.info

The Great Cornard Information Website

Home Page

Table of Contents

Cornard Community

Road Names - Joan Herbert

Page updated - 04 September 2008

 

 

These details of the origins of Great Cornard road names was written by Joan Herbert who researched them from a variety of local sources and submitted them for publication in the Cornard News newsletter.

 

CAUSTONS CLOSE and DE GREYS CLOSE

During the reigns of Richard I, John and Henry III, Sir John of Cornard was lord of the manors of Caustons, Little Cornard and Great Cornard. He was well liked by all of these kings and became Sheriff of Norfolk & Suffolk. His granddaughter, Alice, married Thomas de Grey around 1304 and so the three manors came under the lordship of the de Grey family. When Thomas sold the manor of Great Cornard to the abbess and convent of Malling in Kent the link between the parishes of Great and Little Cornard was broken. Then Sir Roger de Grey, one of the sons of Thomas and Alice left Little Cornard to Sir William Bawde in his will. This left only the lands of Caustons with the de Greys. Grey's Hall in Cornard owes its name to the connection with this family.

 

ELDRED DRIVE

John Eldred acquired the manor of Abbas Hall in 1644 and his family held it for 100 years. As seems to be the case with many lords of the manor, the family did not live in Cornard but only visited to hold courts. The last Eldred, Anne, married John Wall and along with him continued to hold courts until 1770. On her death the manor passed to the Sparrow family.

 

KINGS HILL and KINGS MEADOW

William King lived in Sidehill Lodge, now called Hillside House. He was listed in the 1844 edition of Whites Gazetteer of Suffolk as a 'Gentleman'. When the railways came he sold a large piece of his land to the Railway Company. In his will of 1852 he left 500 to be invested so as to provide suitable clothes for poor aged men and women in Cornard. He also left a small amount of money for a school in Cornard and some money for the vicar to dispose of among the sick poor. He also provided for a new south aisle in St Andrews Church. It is one of the rare cases where a wealthy person gave something back for the benefit of Cornard instead of creaming off what he could.